St Arbucks meet, ‘Emerging Scotland’- the skinny for those who could not make it…
Mins of the meet yesterday- get in touch if you wnat to know more- or if you have your own answers to the questionnaire!
Emerging Scotland meeting, Starbucks, 24th January 2009.
This was the second meeting, with an open invite using messages to members of the Facebook group, as well as spreading the word using blogs and word of mouth…
10 people attended.
Easterhouse, Glasgow- 1
Several other people sent apologies, or were unable to make it at the last moment.
Informal social meeting, with a chance to share stories and encouragement. We also used a short questionnaire to inform the potential future shape of the group. I think it is important to check and recheck this as we go along…
QUESTIONNAIRE A summary of answers given;
1. What brought you to the meeting?
“A desire to meet with other Christians wandering and wondering on the edge of established church.”
“Hoping to meet folk- share ideas and find mutual support etc”
“A few years back read ‘A new kind of Christian’.”
“To speak with people without having to spend 80% of my time justifying/repeating the argument.”
“Needing to connect.”
“To give and get support.”
“To find out what’s going on elsewhere.”
2. What use might a network be to you? e.g. companionship, theological discussion, sharing of ideas, practical support for project, retreats, website and contact lists, other stuff…
“All of the above.”
“Sharing, encouraging, pulling together.”
“Discussion, ideas sharing, meeting point.”
“Meeting other parents of kids not in organised church.”
“Safe place to explore ideas free from fear of guilt and accusation.”
“A sense of not being alone.”
3. Do you have skills you might offer? Hospitality, organisation skills, webmaster skills, mentoring, prayer guiding, counselling, carpentry, mime, cake baking, whatever- please be brave, we will not impose unless you are more than willing!
- Youth workers
- House church pastor
- Music, writing, alt worship
- Theological training/university education (“might make me a liability”!)
- Experience of weird and wonderful things over the last 30 years.
- Mentoring young leaders, missions consultant.
4. What’s in a name? We set out using this word ‘emerging’- although it seems to be a word that is being abandoned by many of its early users. What does the word mean to you?
“A useful word to catch lots of different ideas and activities.”
“New ways of doing things.”
“Living life with people where they are and in the course of life, and living/sharing the gospel.”
“A label that speaks about what we are not, but not what we are. It evokes an emotional response.”
“The birth of something new from an old foundation.”
If this network is to call itself anything, is it time to find a new name- ideas?
“Emerging- necessary as an interim description- we can’t denote ourselves until we can define ourselves.”
“ Possibly need new name- but most names that convey significant meaning will become outdated as things move beyond them.”
“It’s fine for now.”
“Emerging implies something is HAPPENING.”
“ It speaks to me of hope, whereas ‘missional’ speaks to me of obligation, and organisation.”
(The consensus of the people at the meeting is that we should stay with EMERGING SCOTLAND for now.
There is still a formal request for people to host events in their locality. Chris is happy to gather info about these and circulate them.
The dates we have so far are as follows;
28th- 29th March- Weekend retreat/open house- Chris and Michaela’s house, Dunoon. Tel 01369 707009, or contact Chris on firstname.lastname@example.org
Come for the weekend or for the day.
1st May weekend- an open invitation to the more hardy of us to a wild camping weekend on Scarba with Aoradh. Again- contact Chris for more info.
16th May weekend- family weekend- TBC- hosted by Nick Smith- details to follow
We pencilled in other dates- and though several people have said they offer something, we have not filled these yet-
If you have other stuff that will ‘fit in’ already happening, or if you want to suggest an alternative date- let Chris know.
Hopefully we will pursue some of the broader organisational things as we go along…
25th Jan, 2009